Summary of Position: Provide leadership and management of the day-to-day financial functions and operations. These responsibilities include the following areas: Budget, School Activity Accounting, Payroll and Benefits, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, Workers’ Compensation, Investments, Cash Flow, Grant Accounting, Staff Training and Support. Oversee the preparation and development of the district budget and all operational and financial statements. Provide for all financial related training for all district personnel. Please visit http://www.matsuk12.us/cfojob for more information.
Examples of Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
· Hire, train, supervise, and direct activities of all employees in the Business Services department.
· Reports directly to the Chief Business Official.
· Manage accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting for all funds, including Grants, Special Programs, Trust and Agency Funds, Warehouse, Payroll and Benefits, and Purchasing.
· Prepares general fund budgets including site allocations of discretionary funds, fixed-cost budgets, and compensation projections.
· Monitor and maintain position control for the entire District, by location and employee group, to ensure that position allocations are used within authorized limits.
· Prepares information, presents to, and facilitates Budget Development Group meetings to involve all employee groups and Board of Education in validation of budget projections and proposals. Also acts as consulting resource for employee negotiations and related committees.
· Prepares interim financial analysis and monitors revenues and expenditures to forecast fiscal year outcomes and ensure compliance with legally adopted budget limits and district operational spending plans.
· Supervises overall operation of an integrated financial computer system (Tyler MUNIS), including system controls, program design, problem resolution, and data validation to ensure accuracy of financial reports for site customers, management, and external agencies.
· Develops, implements, and trains financial staff on efficient operational procedures for each function to perform essential services with minimum staff possible.
· Acts as in-district consultant on governmental accounting, financial, and internal control issues.
· Maintains education, training, and updated expertise in governmental accounting and financial areas through authoritative agencies (GFOA, GASB) and trains professional accounting staff.
· Manages overall operations of the Payroll department and coordinates departmental efforts as they interface with Human Resources and Information Technology departments.
· Ensures compliance with Legal Mandates, IRS Regulations, Board Policies, Grantor Agencies, and State and Federal Regulatory Agencies regarding fiscal and payroll activities.
· Manages the district’s accounting systems, ensuring internal controls, timelines, and accuracy of transactions.
· Directly supervises the annual financial report and audit, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
· Acts as a liaison to the district’s external auditors, and develops and manages the internal audit and control functions, in order to reduce external audit costs and insure the maximum cost/benefit relationship for district-wide procedures safeguarding public resources
· Directs the activities of the Accounting Supervisor, Purchasing Supervisor, Payroll Supervisor, Budget Technician, and Risk Management Loss Control Technician.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned.